Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Long Day is Over

Today was a long day. A good day, but a long day. Spending about two hours on public transit taught me a valuable lesson; dont take the bus in rush hour. Such is life in Rome, life in a big city. Today was a day of figuring out what this next year might look like. The picture is not in focus but it is clear enough that I can make out outlines; hopefully in the next week those will clear even more. We had meetings as all of staff in Rome with Agape Italia and our national team and then the second half of the day was with just the leaders. I am helping lead the STINT team and also helping lead a Missional Team (we will have a narrower focus on a couple campus's and faculties) and honestly, today I didn't feel like a leader. Instead, I felt as if I was tagging along, sitting in meetings that I didn't necessarily belong in. I know I have a lot to learn and I know God has put me here in this position for a reason, I just think I can get a little intimidated by such experience that surrounds me. And maybe a little scared that I know God will change me and I know that won't always be comfortable.

I finished the day watching "A River Runs Through It" with some of the guys. Never watched the whole movie and the cinematography of it is beautiful. Much like the river featured so prominently, there is an ebb and flow, a rhythm to the movie that is contemplative, never rushed but never still. Some of the last words of the movie were in a sermon that the reverend delivers. He says "And so it those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding." I thought that was a pretty powerful statement; we can love without complete understanding. I dont always understand... I want to but I dont, but I want to learn to love with Christ's love, even for those that baffle me, that I disagree with, and that I never understand.

In support of this contemplative music, I offer you the music of Alli Rogers. I highly recommend the last song, "The Things We Can and Can Not Keep." I think offers a level of insight that the normal song doesnt. I am also a big fan of the song "Hope." This girl can sing, is pretty mellow... check it out

No comments: